Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sick Girl

On Sunday my little Kody got sick.  She seemed fine all morning. When we got to church, which doesn't start til 1:00, is when I noticed something wasn't quite right.  She was sitting on my lap and when I kissed her forehead it was incredibly warm! I couldn't believe it. So I took her home right away to take her temperature and it was 102º.  So of course we stayed home. She wasn't showing any other signs or symptoms at that time, but she did get worse as the night went on.  At one point her fever got to 103.1º.  I gave her ibuprofen over the day and night, and come Monday she was still getting worse. Her fever spiked again even higher, she has a nasty cough which was causing her to not sleep well at all. Kole called her doctor and at 3:15 away we went. Poor thing has bronchitis. They did the flu test with the swab up the nose. She hated that!! We felt bad, but what was comical about it was Kody pulled her head away the second that thing touched her. We laughed at how we wouldn't want that thing up our nose either.  The flu swab came up negative, so that's good. She was given an antibiotic, Augmentin for her bronchitis. She's been a trooper taking that even though it probably doesn't taste very good.
This little girl has not wanted to let me go at all on monday. I had to run a few errands and she just cried holding my leg begging me to stay. It was so sad! She just wanted her momma.  By monday night her fever was not going down depsite the ibuprofen.  I gave her ibuprofen when her fever was 103.9º and 3.5 hours later it was only at 102.3.  So Kole went to the store to get some Tylenol since we ran out.  We gave her the tylenol, Kole gave her a blessing, and we rubbed Vicks on her chest and feet.  She soon fell asleep after that.  I stayed with her for the night by her side. She woke up many times coughing and just having a hard time. She was sweating like crazy too. At one point I checked her in the middle of the night and her fever finally broke! I think that is why she was so sweaty!! I've never seen her sweat that much before. This morning she seems to be doing much better. Still coughing, but the fever is gone for now and she's eating a little bit better, which is good considering she needs food with her antibiotic.
It's so hard seeing your little ones sick! Esp when there's not much you can do except for hold them and give them medicine. I do love that they are extra cuddly when they don't feel good. It's just hard when you have to go do something that will help them and they freak out when you leave the room.
She'll be on antibiotics for 7 days 2x/day.  Lets hope she'll stay healthy after the antibiotics instead of getting something else because her immune system is down.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Poor kid. I'm glad her fever broke! And I can tell you from experience, that flu test is NOT fun!!! I've had to do it twice (even thought I told them both times that I've had both flu shots). But yeah, that thing's the worst. I'm glad she doesn't have the flu, though. Hopefully, the cough will go away soon, too!! Mucinex is our favorite cough medicine. :)

Brea said...

Oh my gosh poor little thing... I pray that she will be better and that nothing more serious will happen. :(